Tuesday 16 December 2014

Penguin Challenge Day 16- For Someone I Love

This is a tricky topic because I'm not quite sure what they mean. Mr. Penguin and I read quite different books. Except for popular crime. We both enjoy some of those.

So who do I love next to Mr. Penguin. My dogs.  Do I read dog books? Not many because they are always so sad. They are usually about great heroes or family pets who die, get stolen, get lost. Do they return to their loving homes? Sometimes. So I will use this post to briefly talk about the old dog adventure books I collect.

I have a good collection of these books. They are dated from the late 1800's to 1950.  I don't collect any dog adventure stories after 1950. I don't always collect them for the stories either. I collect them for the illustrations. I love the illustrations of dogs during the 1930's and 1940's in particular.



The illustrator I most love is Cecil Aldin. He was an Englishman who did countless illustrations of dogs, horses, usually fox hunting and English country scenes. I have several books with his illustrations and I never get tired of the drawings.  He captured the expressions so well of dogs being happy, being sad, getting into trouble. They really are beautiful and often quite comical.

I hope you enjoy these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. I promise to try very hard to reply to any message left.