Friday 18 April 2014

Bookish Questions for a Friday

Thanks to Simon of Stuck in a Book for these questions. He did a post sometime back that had more questions but I thought 10 were enough.

10 questions about reading

1. Favourite childhood book?
My favourite childhood books were a series of junior biographies in the Grand Ledge, Michigan library about inventors and explorers. I learned about Madame Curie, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison and many others. I read the entire series but don't  remember how many there were. I also loved the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Nancy Drew mysteries and Trixie Belden. I loved strong stories about girls doing adventurous things. Old dog stories such as The Incredible Journey (I loved) and those dogs that did heroic things like saving people from fires or finding lost children.  The more I think of those books the more I remember.
2. What are you reading right now?
I'm reading a few books right now. I'm into The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers for our May book group. I'm listening to a series of short stories by Emma Donaghue - Touchy Subjects on audio book and I've just started a non-fiction book called A History of Armchair Travel by Bernd Stiegler that is about 18th and 19th Room Travel. (More on that later I hope).
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
I have a few books on hold at the library but some have a bit of a waiting list on them. One is The Magic Toyshop which I will read in June for the Angela Carter challenge. Also there is  Orange is the New Black, A Year in a Woman's Prison; another Emma Donoghue, Frog Music; and Art as Therapy by Alain de Botton. I don't know why I reserve books at the library but I do. I may or may not get a chance to read the many others I have but I just love going to the library and getting a pile of books to look through. I read some, others I skim, others go back.
4. Bad book habit?
Ha! Me?  Probably starting too many books at once. I generally have about three or four on the go and that can prevent me from not finishing any of them.  But if it really grabs me then I will finish it.  I just love being surrounded by books. 
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
I have two books by Emma Donoghue, Room is one of them and the audio book Touchy Things. I also have Mister Owita's Guide to Gardening by Carol Wall. All of them look interesting. 
6. Do you have an e-reader?
Yes, I have a Kindle Fire but I mainly use it when I travel or go camping or somewhere on my big scooter because it is easy to pack.  I can also check emails on it when I am away. I still prefer real books to it but the e-reader is good for out of print books, Gutenberg like stuff and Amazon's cheap deals.  So I do see a place for both e-readers and real books. 
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I think I have covered this questions. I often have a book of fiction and non-fiction going at once and maybe an audio book. They seem separate enough that I don't get them mixed up but if I try to read several books of fiction at once it is a total failure. 

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Absolutely they have. I read my favourite blogs almost every day.  I keep up with a number of them and am always inspired not only by what people are reading but what they do in their daily life. So my favourite blogs are those that talk about the walks they take, the bookshops they visit, their travels, books they read and their pets.  Quite a few people are really interesting and they inspire me in many ways to get out there and read and do things and visit places. I also like the things they cook. Those blogs are perfect when they cover more than just one thing. I'm reading more and learning about authors I didn't know about. The blogs covering translated fiction are very interesting. There are so many genres of books and it is just so much fun learning about all the new books and old classics.9. 
9. Least favourite book you’ve read this year (so far)?  
I have enjoyed all the books I have read this year. I don't go through books as quickly as a lot of people do so if I'm not enjoying it by 60 to 100 pages I generally stop and go to something else. Life is too short to read books you don't enjoy.  
10. Favourite book you’ve read this year? 
So far it would have to be The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCuller's as I love the characters and the locale so much. Another one is Ruth Ozeki's A Tale for the Time Being.  Also I have read a couple of vintage Penguins that I have enjoyed about Captain Hornblower. I am pretty easy with books. I am not as discerning as some people and like I said I am open to reading anything. I'm generally a good natured reader. her hee.
Well I hope everyone has a good Easter weekend whether you go to church services or just eat a lot of chocolate while going away or lying around the house resting up and catching your breath.   I hope you enjoy the break.


6 comments:

  1. Love this post... may even do this myself next week! So many responses as I was reading your answers:
    - Trixie Belden was a childhood favorite of mine, too.
    - I recently listened to Orange is the New Black and loved it.
    - I really want to read Mister Owita's Guide to Gardening.
    - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter has been on my TBR shelf for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must be kindred spirits to have so much in common. Haha...I'm looking forward to Orange is the New Black but still a bit of a queue to get it yet. You should do a post with questions. It's a good way to get to know other bloggers. I'll read it for sure....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorite Childhood book had to be my cardboard hard cover abridged copy of Little Women. I just finished a sweet contemporary fiction: For My Daughters by Barbara Delinsky. I put vol 2-4 of Jeffery Archer's latest series after reading the first one, however, with our weather being as bad as it has I let those lapse when the snow stopped a trip to the local branch. My book bad habit is trying to read books from history that I should have read, but never did. I don't have any library books at present, but over 1400 on my NOOK Color. I do try to read more than one book at a time, but am never successful. I don't write a blog. The least favorite book this year has been The Invisible Woman" about the infatuation Charles Dickens had with an actress younger than his daughters. It presented the story as a "romance". That, tied with Olde Curiosity Shoppe. which was just....boring. Favorite book is the Delinsky book I spoke about earlier. It's not quite what I'd expected. I inhaled it, and cried at the end

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten Little Women. I read that too. Thanks for your lengthy answer. It is so interesting to see what other people get up to in the world of books. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. It's one I'm keeping around to re-read again in retirement. I have to disagree with Andrea about Old Curiosity Shop. My partner and I read it together several years ago and had trouble putting it down many, many times. It's a wild ride. Really weird in places, too. Made us laugh, made us cry. We had a great time with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read a lot of Dickens and know it is soon time that I do. There are so many mixed feelings about his books but usually most are good, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is truly beautiful and am enjoying it again very much. Thanks for dropping by. Like to hear your thoughts.

      Delete

I love comments. I promise to try very hard to reply to any message left.